I have exactly one requirement for a modem, exactly 1, and the unfortunate thing is it also requires windows, and apparently VMware Fusion doesn’t support the Apple USB Modem, and Apple doesn’t have Windows drivers for the modem, unless you are using Boot Camp.
So I was the first kid on my block and office to download and install StarPlayr 1.7.7 (Morpheus, Final Release), and what a great improvement over the previous versions.
The addition of StarMP3 Trooper is great, I had a bunch of residual asf files, although I was getting used to using VLC
to listen to the stuff I missed during the day, because of minor issues
in previous versions, and possibly my machine, not doing the conversion
of the entire file…
Here’s a word to the wise, make sure you run through all the steps
of starcasting, via iCal, because the iCal engine when firing up for
the first time, will want your approval because it is a downloaded app.
Happened to me on the first day, but Howard is on vacation, so it was
not a real big deal for me…
For me there are only 2 things lacking…
- I would love to see an indicator and some type of controls, to
deal with buffering (Paws) so that you can fast forward, reverse, jump
over commercials and such like a starmate or stiletto, my freaking
Sirius bill is $30 a month, and I really don’t need to hear another
“Income at home” commercial
- Mindy really needs to return as the icon for StarPlayr, and if not Mindy, I am thinking Bailey…
I am wondering if it is me, or the software…
I am using Movable Type 4.0 to run this site, and I noticed that there was an upgrade MT4.1, that apparently addresses some of the minor issues that I have had with MT4.0, but I am apprehensive to deploy it, because I cant find any documentation at all. Now I am the kind of guy the when I open the box, I take a look at the book and cast it aside, and jump in with both feet knowing that I have a lifeboat in the near vicinity… But looking at the MT4.1 upgrade, I cannot find diddly squat. looking anything up in the Knowledge base take you to MT3.7 related information. I am also not real happy about the notification mechanism, it is not real forth coming about notifying me of things, like users registering (had a few of those, that I was not aware of), and I was unaware of how to set it up so that it doesn’t require a pint of blood and your social, because with MT you don’t set that in the comment settings, you set that in the registration settings, not sure what logic applied on that one.
I like the program, and I think it has a lot of potential, but has some of the worst documentation I have seen, and yes I do understand that I paid a grand total of zero dollars for this software etc… But the thing is they also have a paid version, and there is no way I am going to plop down cash with that big shadow looming, or I wonder if it is the $149.00 installation service that is being pushed here…
So now I am considering going back to WordPress or something else, because I have been real busy, and have not had the time to embrace, what looks like it could be a cool piece of software…
I guess I’ll think about it for a bit…
p.s. if anyone has done the MT4.01 to MT4.1 upgrade, let me know if you have any tips… Thanks…
I had the realization the other night, after buying a new non-technical book, that bookstores don’t give out bookmarks anymore.
I can’t remember when the last time I got a bookmark with a book, since I moved to Virginia, but I do remember San Diego Technical Books (SDTB), the old downtown store was one of my favorite bookstores of all time, and they had the best bookmarks. The bookmarks at SDTB were perfect, the right size, the right thickness, everything was just right about them.
Now you go to a bookstore and they don’t give you a bookmark, but I also didn’t ask, but I’m sure that the would have offered to sell me. So my guess is that some MBA somewhere came up with an amazing plan to save the bookstores big $’s by cutting out bookmarks, and I guess that tenth of a cent per bookmark really adds up over a year to a few grand…
I don’t remember exactly when I stopped getting bookmarks, but I sure do miss them, especially the SDTB bookmarks….
So the Virginia Primary is tomorrow, and I am already over the 2008 presidential campaign.
My phone has rang no less then 10 times tonight from unknown callers, who I can only guess were going to tell me how important my vote is, and I need to get out there and vote for whomever, and while I’m at it could I breakout the checkbook and send them money to help stop whomever from ruining the country. Well I didn’t answer the phone, and I don’t even know if I am going to bother voting tomorrow, yes I am experiencing voter apathy.
I did the math a while ago, on the 2 states the media says are so important to the future of this country, Iowa and New Hampshire, because if you don’t do well there forget about it. The 2 states in question contain about 1% of the population, and an even lower percentage of eligible voters, and I could care less about how these people vote. I think the system in this country needs to be revamped.
- Have all the primary’s on one day, like the First Tuesday after the first Monday in June. No campaigning until lets say the first Monday in April, you cant even declare prior to that date, the FCC would require media outlets to not take any advertising until that date,violation would result in revocation of their license.
- Anyone holding federal office would be required to resign upon declaration of their candidacy, if your so sure of yourself, lets see you risk your job for something you believe in, and I don’t think you really have the country’s best interest or my tax dollar in mind if you are out there trying to get your mug on TV.
- End Political rally’s, talk about something that should be left in the past as an history lesson, they only waste time money and energy (Not very green).
- No more phone calls, if I am stupid enough that my mind can be changed from a phone call, I shouldn’t be allowed to vote in the first place.
- No more mailers, another big waste of resources, all that paper, that just gets thrown away.
- No more conventions, another relic of the past,
- I’m also thinking to balance things out First place is President, Second is Vice President, and Third is Secretary of State, and everyone only gets one vote, so choose wisely. Would make for some interesting cabinet meetings.
- If you can’t figure out how to poke a hole in a piece of paper, then you are too stupid to vote.
Thats about it.